Why is it that so many things that I’ve made a regular part of my diet are bad for me? I just came across an article lists 5 types of foods that can trigger a stroke. If you eat like I do, this list hits a little too close to home.
- Crackers, chips, store-bought pastries and baked goods: this list includes muffins, doughnuts, french fries, tater tots, salad dressing, whipped toppings, cake mixes, etc. Because of potentially high amounts of trans-fats, the results of eating these can a blocked blood flow to the brain.
- Smoked and processed meats: this includes the sacred sausages, hot dogs and bacon.
- Diet soda: this one surprised me. Researchers haven’t quite figured this one out but, they believe that drinking diet soda can increase your risk for stroke, heart attack and coronary disease by as much as 60%.
- Read meat: a lot of us know about the issues with this but, we might be surprised to know that the very thing that gives meat its high iron content, hemoglobin, might actually cause blood to thicken and clog up arteries.
- Canned soup and prepared foods: the culprit here is sodium. Sodium increases blood pressure. High blood pressure is the leading cause of stroke.
I don’t know about you but, it looks like I’m due to check the old pantry.